Brief Notes #3: Netflix Gems, Palak Recipe and Zooming Out

A little throwback to Tioman in September


It's a breezy Sunday today, very calm - although the underbelly of today feels like a pocketful of anxiety and a sort of melancholy.


On my grocery run this morning, I decided to get a coffee at a nearby coffee shop to just settle and simmer down for about an hour, on a seat unmarked with an X. To my far right, there were two aunties seemingly having a good chat about their week, joyful. Behind those ladies, a guy in thick-framed glasses had his eyes focused on his laptop, silent. A family of three came in and ordered some bagels and coffee to go. I read through some weekend newsletters in my Inbox, happy about my big mug of coffee. 


I left for home shortly not wanting to stay outdoors for too long, but glad having found a bit of normal on a breezy Sunday outside. 


---


Here are some things that I've found meaningful this past week, and I hope it'll bring you some calm:

  1. The love story that we didn't know we needed: My Octopus Teacher. I've always loved the ocean (minus my severe seasickness). There's just something about going underwater and you're all of a sudden transported into a great wilderness that's so vast and foreign yet inherently essential to the world we live in. In this Netflix documentary, filmmaker Craig Foster free-dives every single day and builds an unusual friendship with an octopus - a cephalopod of immense intelligence beyond our perception. A really good watch! 

  2. Another cinematic gem on Netflix is A Suitable Boy, an adaptation of the novel of the same name by Vikram Seth. You know I'm a sucker for period dramas, Indian culture and the eye candy is definitely a massive bonus! 


  3. I don’t want to sound unreasonable
    but I need to be in love immediately.
    I can’t watch this sunset
    on 14th Street by myself.
    Everyone is walking fast
    right after therapy, texting back
    their lovers orange hearts
    and unicorns—it’s insane to me.
    They’re missing this free sunset
    willingly! Or even worse
    they’re going home to cook
    and read this sad poem online....

    Sunset on 14th Street by Alex Dimitrov, the full poem reminded me that in all the triggers and stress I might have due to work, there is a beautiful sunset that I'm currently missing; there's a pandemic still spreading. Zoom out. 


  4. I always have a soft spot for content pieces that are both amazing storytelling and also an interactive experience. And this Spooky Fall Poem by The New York Times doesn't disappoint by bringing the Halloween shivers through poetry. Click on the black and white sketches for the full effects!

  5. A note that I'd very much like to keep for the future: how to best pair wine with McDonalds



  6. An easy recipe (kind of) for my favourite WFH comfort food: Palak without Paneer.

    Step 1:
    Have a blender ready and toss in 1 bag of spinach  
    Half a bulb of garlic, depending who you're kissing
    An onion, see remark above
    A slice of ginger, for that extra kick
    Just enough water to get the blender going

    Step 2:
    Heat up 2 tbsps of olive oil in a small pot,
    Make hot spice party out of star anise, a cinnamon stick, cumin seeds
    1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of curry powder
    Add some water to get the spice party going

    Step 3:
    Once naik bau, pour in the blender party into the hot spice party
    Simmer simmer simmer
    Add salt and pepper to taste,
    Add some yoghurt or milk for that extra creaminess
    And simmer simmer simmer
    I like to add in a small blob of butter, cuz I can
    And voila! You're all set with meal prep for that working lunch for the next 2 days before you won't wanna have palak again for the next week. 



  7. Music plays such an important part in our daily life. I've been curating a playlist of songs that instantly lifts my mood every morning and analysing it, it's a growing eclectic mix of John Mayer, BeeGees, Tom Misch and Ludovico Einaudi.  

  8. Is it possible to feel creatively connected without social media?

  9. I've just found out about RAGE Coffee! Reasonably-priced coffee delivered straight to your doorstep at the click of a button on the app. If you're around the Klang Valley area, use my referral code "9LJP3S" to get RM5 off your first order. They also do a mean Miso Egg Sandwich!   

  10. A little hat competition.

 

What have you been loving? Feel free to share with me in the comments!

Saloni Miglani said...

Another calming, beautifully written piece filled with so much joy! BRB going to check out the McDonald’s and wine pairings article - this sounds amazing (and def a dinner date plan for when we meet next)!

Amanda P Lee said...

Love this entry! Super happy to see more entries coming up. Definitely gonna check out the octopus teacher it looks super interesting and thanks for the music playlist ;) woohoo!

Briefly Noted