Brief Notes #2: Chocolate Cake, Hamilton and Being Overcooked.

Sunset, Zadie Smith, Carousels
Finding joy in the little things


Hi, it's Sunday! You know Sunday. You've met sunny Sunday before, right? 

I started this in month 3 of the MCO when I found myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary daily COVID reports (and the anxiety that came with it) and living in 5 sets of clothes in my aunt's house. It was probably a Saturday afternoon (tbh who remembers anything now?) and as the sun was streaming into the patio, I put together a list of films/reads/music that brought me a momentary jolt of joy.

Such is the ‘new normal’ I wrote. And I believed. Cases slowly plunged, offices re-opened, we went back to morning hikes and evening hangouts - all with our masks on and SOP in our minds. Little did I know, it's been 5 months after my first list and the cases have never been higher. I guess THIS is the new normal, right?  

---

Here are some links that I've found meaningful this past week, for your weekend pleasure:

  1. 1. Everybody deserves a sinful-yet-delectable flourless chocolate cake with salted dark cocoa ganache this weekend. Yes, we absolutely do.

  2. This episode of Netflix's Song Exploder, hosted by Hrishikesh Hirway. Never shying away from some Lin-spiration, I was ecstatic to watch the creative team behind Hamilton unpack how Burr's iconic song "Wait For It" came to be. One can't seem to help but marvel at the brilliance of the show, time and time again. 

  3.  Grocery Store: A Tiktok Musical 

  4. It's never so clear cut, the journey to finding your passion, but all it really takes is taking the first step and being consistent. I'm so incredibly proud of my dear friend, Saloni Miglani who's been featured on the Bold, Brown and British podcast, sharing her journey to finding her passion in writing. Perfect for that Sunday reflection!

  5. Threading along the lines of podcasts, can I just say that I want to go on hawker food trips with Jun from Take a Bao? In each episode, he takes us on an audio expedition of the tastes, sounds, and sights of what Asian food can offer. And trust me, you'll get hungry after. 

  6. "We are not lazy, we are overcooked." - Chanel Miller on how we're reacting to lockdown.



  7. I know I'm a little late to the party but have you seen Bon Appetit alum, Sohla el-Waylly make 18th Century Mac & Cheese? So happy to see her move on to new projects!

  8. We have one of the world's coolest neighbourhood in KL, according to Time Out. (We're at 36, by the way yay!)

  9. I'm currently knee-deep into Zadie Smith's Intimations, a book of 6 essays beautifully written on innocent street encounters, peonies and pandemic reflections.

  10. Emily in Paris on Netflix - Oui, I know it's been receiving a lot of flack about it but it's a feel-good, stress-free TV show and after a longass WFH day, it's good entertainment!


What have you been loving? Feel free to share with me in the comments!

Saloni Miglani said...

Charmaine, I just loved this! It started off just like a warm, comforting hug, and I reaaally felt that rollercoaster of lockdown emotions we are going through.

And then! I was completely taken by surprise upon reading #4 - what a beautiful surprise, thank you! :) I do hope the podcast episode helped you in some small way.

I'm also very intrigued by Emily in Paris - yes, everyone loves to hate on it, but I'm sure there are people who just love to love on it! To be honest, I'm just happy it's bringing you relaxing popcorn entertainment after those long and draining days of working from home (what work-life balance?)!

This week, I've personally been *loving* Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid. Honestly, Charmaine, you were the first person to put it on my radar, and now I think it might just become my highest-rated book of the year so far! Easy, breezy, engaging writing - do give it a try.

Can't wait for the next installment!

Big hug,

S

Anis A. said...

Sundayyyy, I am so happy today all curled up on my bed just being grateful and elated for the needed rest and time out and bammm; a blogpost from you! Love this brief notes. Almost like a glimpse of a creative soul life. It’s so different from mine yet it’s so beautiful and intriguing. In short, a nicely written note!

Nadia Zainudin said...

Yay, I love that you're blogging. You have a wonderful way with words and I can't wait for more posts. Keep at it!!

xx
Nadia Z

Briefly Noted