Travel Notes: Perhentian Islands



With a backpack weighing down on my shoulders, I took a deep breath and traveled to the Perhentian Islands for a weekend off. It was more than just a girls' trip, I was on a personal pursuit of some post-graduation down time. And throughout the weekend, I find myself writing down snippets of interesting thoughts, realizations and epiphanies on my phone.

Waiting for our boat to take us to the islands and gosh, I didn't realize how much I miss backpacking until now.

Sunkissed skin. Salty hair. Thai pants. Sunglasses. 7kg backpack. Glistening sweat. Grimy feet. Life is good.

Always find peace within yourself and not within others.

You think you look horrible in a bikini? Well, nobody cares and you shouldn't too.






Sunset yoga with a German traveller from India who stays on the island for the whole season? YES! There were three of us that evening - Dutch, German and Malaysian ranging from zero to average experience of the yoga practice.  As the sun sets and the incoming night showers you with positivity and solemnity, you know you've had a good day.

Just because you're a swimmer, it doesn't mean you can't get seasick. Seasickness is my arch nemesis.

I realized one thing about traveling alone is that it builds your mental strength and makes you way stronger than you can ever imagine. I learnt it the hard way - throwing up in the sea, over and over again. Here's a look into my mind:

*peninggggg*
Breatheeeeeeee
Look into the distance
You'll feel better after puking
*vomits in sea*
Ooooh the fishies are enjoying my vomit
I don't need to snorkel to see the fishies!
I feel so much better
Look into the distance
Shit, it's coming again
*vomits again*

Breathe. Look into distance. Vomit. Repeat.



I saw a Western lady picking up rubbish at the beach. That warmed my heart.
I saw a Malaysian dude throwing a plastic bottle on the way to the beach. That burnt my heart.

If there's one thing that unites a nation, it's sports. We walked to Ewan's Cafe for both nights for dinner with half of the locals on the islands, cheering on our beloved Olympian, Lee Chong Wei. If anything, we definitely showed foreign travelers what Malaysians are really about. The positive energy is contagious.

On that Olympic note, everything I read from this article became so real.

As the full moon lit up the beach, the party people comes out to play. Good music playing as topless beach boys throw fire-lit torches and fireballs around, people flailing their body around, some attempting to air-grind some which was a little funny to me (haha!). That night was really chill and everybody was having a good time :)

Drink of the island: Orangutan, a light, vanilla-flavoured rum


After a fair bit of dancing to remixed Top 40 hits, I stood at the shore looking out to the sea and sky, taking in everything. After like about 5 minutes of lovely me-time, a guy who reminded me of Nolan appeared from my blind spot. Dillon from Australia (haha of course!) came up to me and asked me whether I was sad. I was taken aback and literally, laughed out loud. Can't a girl embrace the sea and the night sky alone? LOL

The night is still young at 3am. 4am though, the night gets a little old.

Sunrise yoga at 6.30 in the morning? HECK YES!


Do something because you want to do it, not someone else.

Is bad luck really bad luck, or is it just an open door to a better opportunity? I'd like to think of it as the latter.

Although I puked like nobody's business, I'm glad that the girls went down into the sea for the first time. Marina went from being aqua-phobic to mermaid and Adele found her new love - the sensation of floating with a life jacket on!

I do miss travelling with Naomi, Wei and Michelle and Anis. They get me, and I get them. Plus, we look out for each other, in a whole different level that I can't explain. Time for another trip!



Confine yourself in the present.

Briefly Noted